Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Neal's Development Plan



I can say I have always thought about what more I can do, but always wondered, what can I do and what do I want to do?  When I worked with autistic individuals my goal was to open up my own version of Kennedy Krieger program.  Kennedy Krieger Institute is a program that accepts only the worst of the worst on behavioral individuals with developmental disabilities.  The program has the individual for 24 hours 7 days a week for one year.  The institute has a great track record with modifying the maladaptive behaviors to acceptable behaviors.  This is the type of program I thought I would working for, but as time went on, assessment of me, changes in student population, I started to modify my future.  Now I can see myself working to be a Director of Technology for a school district.  By not knowing who I am, it may seem this is a huge difference in goals, but to me they are very similar.  Let’s see why.
First I assessed if I had the right personality of being a leader.  While using the Myers-Briggs Personality Assessment, I was able to see that I am Introvert, Sensing, Thinking, and Perceiving.  But as I also mixed my personality assessment with 360- Degree Feedback System, I was able to compare my assessment with others view of me.  Other viewed me as Extrovert, Sensing, Thinking, and Judging.  Then I thought about my confidence levels.  When I worked with autistic individuals, I was very confident that I would figure out the function of the behavior, but when I changed districts and the population type my confidence started to lower.  I ended up second guessing my actions.  Then I thought what if I mix education with technology which led to my formal education.
In Formal education I decided to enroll in the Masters of Instructional & Design with a specialization of Training and Performance Improvement.  With my past experience in technology, learning of the master’s degree and then merging with my student population behaviors have gain me the confidence I was missing.  My enjoyment with technology became the key of building my confidence back.  Now I need to build on my work experience.
Enlarging my current job will show how me and others the devotion I have on completing my goal.  I still need to learn more things before considering a job of the director of technology.  This past year I have been training teachers on utilizing Moodle, on top of dealing with student’s inappropriate behaviors, and tutoring students in Math.  Definitely I will need to know how to write coding and create web-servers and the infrastructure of network servers.  I know these benchmarks will allow me to continue to better myself and get ahead for the director position. 




    Taking Out the Negativity of Tenure Teachers







1 comment:

  1. Neal,
    Personal development plan
    When looking at assessment as a staff development tool, it is important as you experienced, to use multiple assessment tools for validity. Enlarging your current job to include training teachers on Moodle will be very valuable experience toward your goal. I would have liked to have read what additional future development opportunities you felt would be valuable to you.

    Employee Development Plan
    Interesting approach to your Assignment of developing a Employee Development Plan. The video certainly identifies the need to address ineffective tenured teachers. I would agree, lemon teachers need to be trained with positive leadership. You make a good point regarding the power of positive climate and positive communication. While that may change their attitude, how do you change their skill level and ability to work with students? I was looking for some specific recommendations on development strategies that would be used on those teachers not showing performance improvement prior to tenure.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete