Thursday, May 3, 2012

Elevator Speech on True Training


“Elevator Speech” regarding the truth about training;

Do you remember those seminars when we had to go to every year to keep our licenses, and when we would hear a new style or strategy about dealing with our students?  We would get this great lecture that promised us how this would change all of the problems we encounter in class.  Once the seminar was over we would be pumped up on wanting to practice the methods they just showed us, but then realizing, how are we going to do this?  How can I modify what they talked about to the issues I am dealing with in my class? I even received this certificate stating I am an expert from this training.  How can I be an expert if I have no idea how to implement the lecture?  Real training is not only a lecture; it’s getting the practice to be fluent on the implementation and also the ability to generalize to new issues when they arise.   A true training will prepare the client to be able to adapt to the changes one would face, becoming an improved person in the field for themselves and their organization.  Here’s my card, call me when you want our team to prepare your next seminar and/or workshop. Thank you for meeting with me.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Neal,

    I was able to read your elevator speech and the scenario you spelt out is so true. I too, have been in this situation. I try to go back to the powerpoint slides that was printed out from that seminar. I try to go back to my notes with no luck as the information becomes more confusing. The lack of trainging after these seminars really wastes all of everyone involved planning this seminar' time. After reading your speech, I realized that training is an integral part of all aspects of a company, including post training to seminars and conferences.

    Thanks,
    Genie Naone

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neal,
    I liked the graphics which accompanied your presentation, very creative. Great approach to use with your administrator. Any educator that has attended staff development training can relate to the points you made regarding difficulty in doing a post-training implementation. You make an excellent point that true training is not just lecturing; it's getting to practice and becoming fluent in implementing the new strategies in your classroom.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete